Discomfort Free is a blog from massage therapist Hilma Louise Volk:
I am not a doctor. I am a massage therapist. The techniques I show primarily involve self-massage and stretching. You control the pressure of self massage at all times. Stretches should never be forced or painful. If you get a gut feeling that these suggestions are not right for you – don’t do them. If you diligently use the techniques every day for at least a week and see no improvement, you should consult a physician.
Also, if your problem has progressed to the point to where your hands feel “dead” most of the time, you are at risk for permanent nerve damage and should see a physician.
The advise in this website is for given is for numbness or tingling that has progressed gradually over a period of time from an occupation, or hobby, or both. It can result from accumulative repetitive movements (know as repetitive strain injuries) from such motions as hammering, cutting hair, typing, playing piano, knitting, etc. — or from postural imbalances or frequent awkward positions (known as cumulative trauma injuries).
Hilma provides a series of instructional videos that you can use to locate and treat the cause of your problem.
Recent Posts from Discomfort Free:
- Comfortable Tablet Holder - June 19th, 2018
- "Tablets can cause users a lot of discomfort. A common problem is thumb pain and frequently pain on the little finger side as gripping such a thin surface is hard on those hand muscles. This is a review of the … Continue reading →"
- Update on My Broken Hip - June 19th, 2018
- "As mentioned in an earlier post, I fell hard on the ice on January 6, 2018. Four long stainless steel pins were implanted. Now it is June 18. I did have in home physical therapy at first, when the only … Continue reading →"
- Carpal Tunnel and Other Hand Numbness - June 19th, 2018
- "The following is a presentation I made for and online health seminar: Here I describe reasons for numbness in the fingers caused by your occupation and/or hobbies (not because of diseases, head injury, etc.). There are always reasons for pain, … Continue […]"
- Premature Aging – Is it happening to you? - April 22nd, 2018
- "What you don’t know can age you prematurely. Fight Back. First the technical stuff What is oxidative stress? Why you should care. It’s the imbalance between your body’s ability to counteract the production of free radicals. As free radicals are […]"
- How to break your hip on ice. - February 8th, 2018
- "On January 6, 2018 I was heading to a “Best Hand” event put on by our Panhandle Nordic Ski and Snowshoe club. The idea would to be to collect cards at different points and the best hands would get the … Continue reading →"