Discomfort Free is a blog from massage therapist Hilma Louise Volk:
I am not a doctor. I am a massage therapist. The techniques I show primarily involve self-massage and stretching. You control the pressure of self massage at all times. Stretches should never be forced or painful. If you get a gut feeling that these suggestions are not right for you – don’t do them. If you diligently use the techniques every day for at least a week and see no improvement, you should consult a physician.
Also, if your problem has progressed to the point to where your hands feel “dead” most of the time, you are at risk for permanent nerve damage and should see a physician.
The advise in this website is for given is for numbness or tingling that has progressed gradually over a period of time from an occupation, or hobby, or both. It can result from accumulative repetitive movements (know as repetitive strain injuries) from such motions as hammering, cutting hair, typing, playing piano, knitting, etc. — or from postural imbalances or frequent awkward positions (known as cumulative trauma injuries).
Hilma provides a series of instructional videos that you can use to locate and treat the cause of your problem.
Recent Posts from Discomfort Free:
- How to break your hip on ice. - February 8th, 2018
- "On January 6, 2018 I was heading to a “Best Hand” event put on by our Panhandle Nordic Ski and Snowshoe club. The idea would to be to collect cards at different points and the best hands would get the … Continue reading →"
- Laugh for the Health of It. Relieve Stress. - April 24th, 2017
- "How Laughter Can Improve Your Overall Health Laughter can be infectious. When you hear the sound of laughter, you can’t help but laugh yourself. When laughter is shared among others, it causes a binding between people and increases both intimacy … Continue […]"
- Make a Laptop Holder in 5 Seconds - November 19th, 2016
- "Why you must have a laptop or notebook holder to save your body from physical pain, poor posture, and other problems… As wonderful as the technology is, small computers cause all kinds of problems. Usually it creeps up so slowly … Continue reading → […]"
- Amazing Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar - November 14th, 2016
- "Apple Cider Vinegar has been use for thousands of years for health purposes. Hippocrates, the Greek physician and the founder of Western Medicine both prescribed it to his patients and used it himself. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) should never be … Continue […]"
- Make a Wrist Rest for Your Mouse in 5 Seconds - November 7th, 2016
- "That darn computer mouse can cause you a lot of pain (eventually). It can cause sore forearms and tendons and even be a factor in carpal tunnel syndrome. You can minimize the impact that your computer mouse has on your hand, … Continue reading →"