Discomfort Free is a blog from massage therapist Hilma Louise Volk:
I am not a doctor. I am a massage therapist. The techniques I show primarily involve self-massage and stretching. You control the pressure of self massage at all times. Stretches should never be forced or painful. If you get a gut feeling that these suggestions are not right for you – don’t do them. If you diligently use the techniques every day for at least a week and see no improvement, you should consult a physician.
Also, if your problem has progressed to the point to where your hands feel “dead” most of the time, you are at risk for permanent nerve damage and should see a physician.
The advise in this website is for given is for numbness or tingling that has progressed gradually over a period of time from an occupation, or hobby, or both. It can result from accumulative repetitive movements (know as repetitive strain injuries) from such motions as hammering, cutting hair, typing, playing piano, knitting, etc. — or from postural imbalances or frequent awkward positions (known as cumulative trauma injuries).
Hilma provides a series of instructional videos that you can use to locate and treat the cause of your problem.
Recent Posts from Discomfort Free:
- Carpal Tunnel Treatment While Stuck at Home - April 8th, 2020
- "Want a self treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome? Now is the time if you are stuck at home with the Corona Virus pandemic. Unless there is an emergency situation (and hand numbness is usually not) doctors prefer keeping social distancing. … Continue reading […]"
- Sort on Toilet Paper? Try This Alternative - April 8th, 2020
- "Are you frustrated that all the shelves of toilet paper are bare? When stores do get them in – is there Toilet Paper Police guarding it – to make sure you only take one package? Fear not. Here’s a short … Continue reading →"
- Best Positions for Sleeping - May 25th, 2019
- "What are the best sleeping positions? In this video I show best way to sleep for minimal stress on your neck and back. please watch the video When sleeping on your back you do not want your head propped up. Your … Continue reading →"
- Stop Hiccups Fast - January 23rd, 2019
- "How to quickly stop your hiccups. This technique can quickly get rid of your hiccups. The above is for common hiccups that you just get once in a while. Now if you have hiccups many times a day for days … Continue reading →"
- 20 Tips For Keeping Your Child With Special Needs Safe In Your Home - January 13th, 2019
- "20 Tips For Keeping Your Child With Special Needs Safe In Your Home Many individuals with Autism and other special needs, including my 18-year-old son, Michael, might not be aware of the numerous potential dangers that exist in our homes. … Continue reading […]"