Recently, kal from MyBodyZone wrote an article entitled “14 Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) Prevention Tips”. Here’s the list:
- Take periodic breaks
- Take the time to compose your thoughts before working, to avoid unnecessary typing
- Optimize your workstation
- Watch your posture
- Use proper typing technique
- Pace yourself
- Perform stretching exercises
- Stretch frequently while working
- If it hurts, stop!
- Limit mouse usage
- Don’t strain for hard-to-reach key combinations
- Use two hand for keyboard combinations
- Watch out for writer’s cramp when using a pen
- Rest your elbows and wrists when not typing
It’s a good list. The tips, while familiar, are worth being reminded of. Be sure to read the full article, as kal goes into more detail for most of the tips.
I’d add two tips to the list: Use break-reminder software. Two, don’t ignore the program when it prompts you to take a break! (This is something I have problems with.)
Do you have any additional tips for RSI prevention?