An article in the Hindustan Times, India’s leading English-language newspaper, Kiran Sawhney reports on workplace-related RSI problems (When Working Isn’t Working For Your Health) and offers some simple suggestions, including:
- Sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair (ErgoBlog has some comments on this)
- Use something to remind you to take breaks (a kitchen timer, or one of the many available software programs)
- Use the restroom on another floor and take the stairs
- Use a pedometer to keep track of how many steps you take during the day
- Deliver documents or messages to co-workers in person rather than by email
The article also details a “deskercise” program, a workout you can perform at your desk, which includes stretching, leg lifts, glute squeezes, etc.
This is all stuff you’ve probably seen before in various forms, but this article sums things up nicely.